During Singapore's colonial days, Cathay Cineplexes was originally known as Associated Theatres Ltd. on 18 July 1935. The Cathay Building was also Singapore's first cinema in skyscraper. Pilots flying into Kallang Airport often used the Cathay Building as a landmark for the final approach. The Cathay Cineplexes was later renamed Cathay Organisation Private Limited in 1959 with Darto Loke Wan Tho as its founder. The Cathay Cineplexes became Singapore's first cinema operator to achieve ISO 9002 certification awarded by the Singapore Productivity and Standards Board. Its vision is to be the premier organisation engaged in providing family entertainment, leisure, lifestyle and property management services to the community, and its mission is to be committed to providing safe and fun quality entertainment, leisure and lifestyle products and services to customers in Asia by enhancing customer satisfaction, using state-of-the-art technology and entertainment venues.