Situated in the heart of the Civic District, City Hall at St Andrew's Road was originally known as the Municipal Building when it was completed in 1929. Designed by British municipal architects A Gordon and F D Meadows, it was built between 1926 and 1929, and was renamed in 1951. It housed various government bodies before it became home to the Singapore judiciary in 1987. On 14 February 1992, it was gazetted as a national monument. City Hall has been the backdrop for many of Singapore’s historical events.
When Singapore was still part of Malaysia, the citizens of Singapore celebrated the first Malaysia day at the Padang, just outside of City Hall. Such events included the British acceptance of the Japanese surrender on 12th September 1945, as well as the official swearing in of Singapore’s first fully independent Government (after the separation from Malaysia) on 9th August 1965. This building housed many Government offices, including the Prime Minister's Office, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the former Ministry of Culture, and was also occupied by the Supreme Court, the Singapore Academy of Law, the Public Service Commission and the Industrial Arbitration Court.
The building, along with former Supreme Court Building, will be converted to a visual arts museum, the National Gallery Singapore, by late 2015.